Mattresses have been used in various shapes and forms for thousands of years. The word ‘mattress’ comes from Arabic and translates into “throw something down.” That is where the term ‘mat’ comes from as well. Ancient civilizations made mattress using a wide range of different natural materials including straw, horse hair, and feathers. Mattress technology these days is cutting edge. There have been new comfort levels that have been achieved, which makes the experience of sleeping on a mattress even better for people.
The Kinds of Mattresses That Can be Found Online
There are many different types and kinds of mattresses that can be found in the market. When you know the specifications of different types of mattresses it can help you decide which one will work the best for you. The following is a drill-down of the top types that are available.
1. Innerspring Mattresses
This type uses a steel coil system to provide support. The springs are connected in an intricate manner to form a bigger support base. More coils mean a higher quality mattress. It is considered to be traditional technology. Having said that, for many people, it is still the most popular kind of mattress. Innerspring mattresses are among the most affordable mattresses, and that is one of the many reasons why they still are very popular. The following are some other advantages they offer:
- This type of mattress is very portable which make them very easy to transport
- They are very accessible within the marketplace
- You can select the level of firmness that you want
- When they are starting to wear out, the springs make an unpleasant, squeaky sound
- They can do a good job at managing pain and pressure points
- Compared to other kinds of mattresses they are less durable
2. Memory Foam Mattresses
Sleepers know foam technology for the great comfort that it provides. That makes them really popular. They are very snug and take your level of relaxation up a notch. The mattress contours to your body to provide you with the optimal level of pressure relief. NASA first used memory foam technology and has also been used for manufacturing comfortable pilot seats. In terms of comfort, this type receives very good customer satisfaction feedback. The following are some of the other benefits:
- Fit well in an adjustable bed
- Very durable and are able to last as long as 10 years
- Not prone to being attacked by dust mites and other allergens
- Very low motion transfer
- Prevents aches and pains while sleeping
- Ensures that the spine is properly aligned
- Efficiently relieves pressure points
- No major drawbacks to note. However, it isn’t the most budget-friendly mattress for low budget sleepers.
3. Natural Fiber Mattresses
This kind of mattress is made out of natural fibers rather than synthetic materials like foam. Since they are all natural, this kind of mattress is more expensive. If you are searching for a green way that you can spend time in bed, then this is the best choice for that. It is the most eco-friendly mattress that is available in the marketplace. Purchasing this mattress will significantly reduce your carbon footprint. Many natural fibers are available to choose from. There is organic wool, organic cotton, hemp, coconut coir, latex from rubber trees, and bamboo. All-natural fibers have their own advantages. If you are searching for something long-lasting, an organic cotton mattress might last for as many as 15 years. On the other hand, wool is known for offering excellent temperature regulation and comfort. Bamboo is a great renewable resource and latex is a fire-resistant material. If you would like to have a buoyant mattress, then you should think about getting a coconut coir mattress.
4. Latex Mattresses
This type of mattress is among the most popular type in today’s market. First of all, latex is a kind of natural substance that is comfortable and durable. However, one thing to remember is that not all products are made exactly the same. Many latex mattresses, in fact, may be a hybrid that is made with other materials. That is why if you know what kind of latex a mattress is made out of it can help you with your buying process. Depending on the specific manufacturing process that is used, latex products vary in quality. The following are the top advantages of latex mattresses:
- Most do not use chemicals
- Little off-gassing
- Not flipping or rotation of the mattress is necessary
- More expensive so budget buyers might not be able to afford them
- They are heavy and might be cumbersome to move
5. Waterbed Mattresses
It was in the 1800s that waterbeds were made for the first time by a doctor who was wanting to make his patients’ lives easier. The Scottish doctor developed waterbeds to deal with the problem of bedsores.
- Redefines comfort and make your back more flexible or limber
- Very versatile with being able to adjust the firmness and set the water temperature
- Promotes back health
- A complex setup process and may be prone to leakage and puncturing
- Not the most portable
- Temperature options can result in higher electric bills
6. Pillow-top Mattresses
This type of mattress technology is well known for providing a mattress with additional layering and padding. They may be used along with other types of mattress technologies. There are also hybrid options to consider when it comes to materials including memory foam, latex, wool, fiber film, foam, and cotton.
- Features quick bounce-back
- Is washable and doesn’t overheat
- Retains its shape after use
- Additional padding and very comfortable
- Emits a slight odor
- Compared to some other types is more expensive
- Might be too soft for some sleepers
7. Gel Mattresses
This technology uses foam that has gel contained in it. There are numerous ways to add gel into the foam. In results in sleepers being provided with better overall feel and comfort. Usually, this kind has features that control the temperature and eliminate overheating. It is a great option if you are searching for a dynamic mattress that will provide you with a high-quality sleeping experience.
8. Hybrid Mattresses
This is a very common type of mattress and features a combination of different mattress technologies. The steel coil system combines different foams including polyurethane, latex, and memory. Foams with gel in them may also be combined in order to create a hybrid. This type of mattress incorporates numerous elements to enhance comfort and make sure that the mattress works in an optimal manner.
When Should You Purchase a New Mattress?
Experts recommend that you throw out your old mattress after 5 to 10 years and purchase a new one. However, reality may be entirely different. One main reason to purchase a new mattress is to better meet your comfort needs. If you are struggling with general sleeping discomfort and back pain, then that is a good indication that you might need a new mattress. If you are wanting to obtain new technology and upgrade, that is another good reason to purchase a new mattress. However, if you have owned the same mattress for almost 10 years and it is serving you well still, then it might not be necessary to purchase a new mattress right now. If you ask when a good time to purchase a mattress is, individual factors still do apply. However, if you are ready to make a purchase, you will be happy knowing it is possible to purchase the ideal mattress online. You can even purchase an inexpensive one without having to compromise on quality.
What Benefits Come With Purchasing a Mattress Online?
- The most obvious and first benefit is the great convenience that it offers. It will take you a lot less time since you don’t have to travel to a physical store. You can shop for mattresses online no matter where you are located.
- When buying online, you will often pay less for a mattress. That is due to the fact that physical stores tend to have higher prices tags. When you purchase online, you can buy from the manufacturer directly or get access to great discounts that virtual sellers offer.
- It is much easier to obtain all of the information on a product online when compared with brick and mortar stores. You can take as much time as you need to learn about a mattress without a salesperson distracting you. That will allow you to make a better-informed decision on which mattress you want.
- Free shipping is usually included when you purchase a mattress online. Also, the mattress may be delivered without your presence or supervision, unlike with a conventional store. That will save you hassle and time.
- You will be happy knowing that customer satisfaction levels are about the same for buying offline and online. That means that purchasing a mattress from a physical store doesn’t really give you any additional advantages when compared to purchasing online.
- Online retailers are well-known for providing outstanding customer service when compared with physical stores. When customers have great buying experiences, they will buy again and refer others.
Disadvantages of Purchasing Online
- Old mattress removal services are not offered by most online sellers.
- You don’t have the opportunity to test the mattress out before you buy it; however, a trial period is offered by some online mattress dealers.
What to Consider When Purchasing the Ideal Mattress Online
Research the kind of mattress you would like to buy
At the start of this guide, we provided you with a list of different types of mattresses. Look at the advantages and disadvantages of each one. You need to consider the specifications and features of each type. If you need something that will effectively relieve back pain, determine which one is most likely to work the best for you. Narrow your options down and compare them. Once you have a good idea of what type is most suitable for you, go to the next step in the process.
Consider your mattress budget
You need to decide what price range you have to work with. That will let you narrow the list down further to the types that are most affordable for you. Many factors help to determine how much a mattress will cost. Size is the first element. The bigger that a mattress is, the more it will cost. Mattresses are available in different sizes ranging from small all the way up to the super king. The total cost will also be determined by the brand, technology, and composition. Take full advantage of any special discounts that are available to get the best-suited mattress at the lowest possible price. Watch for deals and sales offered by online stores.
Become familiar with your online retailer’s policies
There are some online stores that offer full mattress service, including assembling the mattress in your home. Then there are other sellers that first deliver the mattress to your front door. Know what the store’s charge and return policies are. If there are any additional or hidden charges, you need to know about them. Many mattresses offer a trial period. Get to know which of the brands offer that and how long the trial period lasts. Having a satisfaction guarantee is essential in getting the ideal mattress online. Also, check out the warranty information on the mattress. It may range from two years all the way up to 25 years.
Check out independent customer reviews
Look online for unbiased reviews on mattresses you are interested in buying. Obtain full feedback so you have a good sense of what you are purchasing. Also getting feedback on the quality level of the mattress, and check the customer service that various online stores offer. That will help you determine the best places to purchase a mattress from.